Thursday, February 17, 2005

 

Toxic waste lifestyle

From the moment I step off the train and begin to make my way to my workplace, I am bombarded with toxins and carcinogens. Delivery trucks and cars bring the first wave of this assault with their exhaust; the smoke produced by people racing down the street with cigarette in mouth trying to get a quick nicotine fix before the workday begins compliments this. As I walk past the fenced-in site of a building that is under construction, I’m showered in the noxious fumes emitted by welding equipment. On certain days, I may even have the pleasure of walking through a cloud of particles of God-knows-what produced by sandblasting or some other industrial process. This all generally occurs every morning in the course of ten minutes.

Once I reach my building's artificial environment, I will be subjected to a solid 8 hours of stale, recycled air; the germs and pathogens of my seemingly forever ill co-workers; and the constant discharge of radiation from the computer monitor that sits about 2 feet in front of me. Add to this the continuous stink of fast food (although not a toxin it is almost as undesirable) from 11am to 3pm and the free ‘coffee drinks’ that are comprised of petroleum byproducts and one can confidently label the corporate lifestyle and all that comes with as toxic. To top it off, spending one’s day tethered to a desk provides absolutely no opportunity to exercise and will only hasten the effects of the aforementioned poisoning. I’d rather spend my day working in a mine because at least then my doom would come more swiftly.

Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]